Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I just started changing my 11 month old lab over to adult

Customer Question

I just started changing my 11 month old lab over to adult food with in the last week and within the last two days he has thrown up and has diarrhea with a little blood in it ... should I be concerned I tried to give him his normal food again thinking it might help and he doesn't want to eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I tried taking him from Purina puppy chow to Purina dog chow is all
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. What is his name? How many times has he been vaccinated by your vet? Is he acting pretty depressed at this time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is up to date on his vaccinations and his name is ***** ***** is acting depressed and sulky like he doesn't feel good

Ok. That is good that he's up to date on his vaccines as that makes this situation potentially being a parvo infection a lot, lot less likely. But, it can still happen in fully vaccinated dogs. I've seen it. Any time a young dog has vomiting and diarrhea with stools that have blood, parvo gets brought up as it has too. Could this be that? Could it be due to the change of the food? That is something that can honestly cause vomiting and diarrhea too (it can have some blood in it). In a situation like this, it would seem reasonable to give him no food or water for 8 hours to let his stomach rest and to then reintroduce them to see if he starts to eat / drink. The key is to keeping the vomiting at bay and to not get more dumpy. When changing foods, the best way to do it is slowly over the course of a week or so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I'm sorry. I'm not set up at this time for any phone calls. If you'd like to continue by these means, that would be great.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what you are recommending to us is to not give him anything til morning and then slowly give him water and try food to see if he wants it.. if he doesn't then what do we do ?

Depending on how he looks at this time. If he's really looking dumpy / sick, it would honestly be the best situation to get him to your vet or an ER clinic to have them evaluate him. If he's not overtly looking that bad and just had the one vomit and this stool that had the little blood in it, then pulling up food and water for that 8 hours could let his stomach settle down. Is this something that just didn't agree with him? Is it something more? There is where the unknowns are. If he continues to vomit, that has more red flags raised with it. If he's not eating and drinking in the morning, that has more red flags raised with it too.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thank you

I'm hoping for the diet change as the root of all this. If that is the case, then this has a good chance of helping him out. Let him rest at this time and see how he is doing.