Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He is coughing and coughing up clear mucus, and he is 10 -

Customer Question

he is coughing and coughing up clear mucus
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack and he is 10 - he has a hear condition and takes medicine for it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: not that I can think of - this came on today. He was fine this morning but when I got home this evening there were piles of mucus all over the house
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jack. Any heart patient who has acutely been coughing to the extent Jack has been must be considered to have decompensated into congestive heart failure (CHF). Please don't hesitate to have Jack attended to by an on-call vet. While any age dog can contract a simple respiratory infection which causes coughing, 10 year olds are more likely to cough due to advanced cardiopulmonary disorders. I can hope that he contracted a simple infection but because CHF is life-threatening, we can't take the chance that his coughing doesn't represent CHF. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your response. He sees a vet for his CHF - I'll take him in right away.

I'm pleased to hear that he'll be attended to promptly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.