Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

I have a 15yr old yellow lab, she has been dry heaving or

Customer Question

I have a 15yr old yellow lab, she has been dry heaving or appears to be and today after her dinner she appeared very uncomfortable panting. I have looked into bloat but that does not seem to fit. She is not bloated, she does have a fatty tumor on the right side. Could this be putting pressure on her stomach? Her bloodwork is always great.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 15 yr old yellow lab. fatty tumors, arthritis
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes I have a I have a 15yr old yellow lab, she has been dry heaving or appears to be and today after her dinner she appeared very uncomfortable panting. I have looked into bloat but that does not seem to fit. She is not bloated, she does have a fatty tumor on the right side. Could this be putting pressure on her stomach? Her bloodwork is always great.
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the's name?
Customer: i.m worried about the dry heaving etc
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the animal?
Customer: no thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** I'd like to ask a few questions to better assess the situation.

1. You mention dry heaving, no productive vomiting? Any chance this is a hacking cough?

2. Any diarrhea?

3. Can you lift her lip and tell me if her gums are pink?

If at anytime tonight her breathing difficulty increases, she becomes extremely lethargic or her gums are pale, I would recommend a trip to the ER.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No vomiting, no diarrhea, gums pink. Looking at videos may be kennel cough?? Sounds like the video but then she onight nly leaves the house to get a bath. Also tonight she was very uncomfortable after eating, and has been eating grass.

I would definitely have her seen then, they can listen to her lungs, her heart, assess her throat, check her temp. to see if it's a cough. I have many clients mistake a harsh dry cough for dry heaving. The other concern is the discomfort after eating and eating the grass. They usually do that when their tummies hurt.

Hello, I wanted to follow up and see how your Lab was doing. If I was able to answer your questions, please kindly rate me (that is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer further questions. Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Christi Belew