Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

We believe our dog has an inguinal hernia and are concerned

Customer Question

we believe our dog has an inguinal hernia and are concerned about the cost for treatment. This is not something we are currently in financial position to afford the 3200 we have seen for this procedure.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help you and Woogie. Not all inguinal hernia's are created equal. Once your vet examines it, they can let you know how severe it is and can determine if there are consequences to leaving it alone.

Depending on your area, you should be able to find a general practitioner to handle an inguinal hernia surgery. While I do not know the severity of Woogie's inguinal hernia, here in the midwest a straight forward repair would max out at $1000 (that's with having to add a drain, etc).

If finances are of great concern, you can check with your local ASPCA or humane society to see if they can do the procedure. Bear in mind, they are usually less expensive because they do not set IV catheters for fluids, no pre surgical bloodwork, sometimes the surgical monitoring is minimal.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (that is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer further questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Christi Belew replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to follow up and see if you had any additional questions. If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (that is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer further questions. Thank you.