Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

MY SHIH POO IS BLACK AND AND HAS ITCHY SKIN TREATED WITH

Customer Question

MY SHIH POO IS BLACK AND WHITE AND HAS ITCHY SKIN TREATED WITH TEMERIL AAND AQUAPO. HER PAW AND SHE LICKS HER FRONT PAWS A LOT. ONE FRONT PAW HAS TURNED BROWN AND ALSO UNDER ALL HER PAWS DISCOLORED TAN. IS THEIR A REASON? SHE IS 9 YRS OLD
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is the Temaril-P and apoquel working for Minnie? Are there any wounds on the front paws?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
TEMERIL IS AND NO WOUNDS.. BUT CUZ IT PREDNISONE I DONT KNOW IF IT IS HURTING HER...ONE PAW IS DISCOLORED (TAN)

Thanks for the additional information. If she is remaining on the Temaril-P I would recommend that lab work is done to determine if it is causing any issues. Long term Prednisone use can sometimes cause dogs to be prone to infections and other issues. Bloodwork can help determine if that is the case or not. Also the discoloration is fairly common in dogs with allergies. It is caused by the enzymes in the saliva that cause the fur to change color when they are excessively licking at them.