Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog just started vomiting this afternoon, he hasn't eaten

Customer Question

my dog just started vomiting this afternoon, he hasn't eaten so it's not from food, just white foamy, he has vomited at least 6 times, seems fine otherwise
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't think he got into pre-existing conditions...he weighs around 10 other symptoms.......we were gone for around an hour, he was inside, hasn't eaten anything all day...........

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.