Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Can I put neosporin on my dogs stitches? She is 10, her name

Customer Question

Can I put neosporin on my dogs stitches?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is 10, her name is Kay
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kay?
Customer: I saw the vet today, said the look fine. But they are bleeding or oozing more than ones she has had in the past and she is very uncomfortable. She got them on Tuesday, she usually does better by now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Where does she have the stitches and why?

2- The wound was seen by vet today, correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She has stitches on her right eye lid, right lower neck, right hip, left hip and left leg. She had some growths removed. Yes, she was seen earlier today by her normal vet. He adjusted the one in her eye because it was irritating her eye. Otherwise he said just to apply a warm compress for the other ones. I am concerned because of all of the bleeding and oozing, she has had surgery in the past and never had this happen or this much pain.

1- Is she currently on any medications?

2- All of the incisions are oozing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1-cephalexin, rimadyl.
2- yes, the ones on the right seem to be worse.

Friend, in response to your question I would not put neosporin on the incision, the ointment could weaken the sutures. In addition, she is currently on Cephalexin which is an antibiotic, so she will be okay as far as infections. I would recommend you keep her quiet, minimize movement. You see moving too much will cause the incisions to build fluid. Apply warm compresses as family veterinarian recommended. If you notice that the oozing increases or any swelling have her re-checked by family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter