Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Just recently my 14yo f/m dachshund only on the

Customer Question

just recently my 14yo f/m dachshund poops only on the run(literally).
My vet has cleaned her anal glands twice, ruled out back problems,
put her on antibiotics & rimadyl to no effect. She will start to hunch up,
then charge away dropping her poop along the way. Any thoughts
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. Welcome. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Missy. The defecating on the run isn't something new for her, correct? Has your vet seen her defecate in this manner? What do her stools look like?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he has. Stool is pretty normal looking. Put her on a higher fiber dog food too
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She's acting normal as well
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is new. No he has not seen her poop on the run. I brought poop samples.

Thanks for that information. That is good that the stools are looking pretty normal. Also good that they evaluated the stools and saw no specific issues there. Could there be some abnormal feeling when she's defecating due to the higher fiber? Could it be catching on some fur on her back side? Could the posturing position itself cause some discomfort? What would be a good thing to do here is to video what you're seeing at home with her so your vet can specifically see the act itself. From a pure medical aspect, it doesn't sound like a serious issue - that is the good news. Could this be a new behavioral issue? Could she have had some discomfort associated with defecating at some point and now she's worried that a future stool will also cause discomfort?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It does appear that there is a just comfort level as she starts to poop. But where did this come from? And what can be done about it? My vet seems to be telling me just wait it out and see what happens.

Could a trial of a pain medication like Rimadyl (an NSAID) be used to see how it helps? Could there be arthritis present and the squatting position puts a lot of pressure on the hips and this is the root of the issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've got her on Rimadyl now. I have to go to work now. I'll email you in a little while.

That sounds good. If she's currently on the Rimadyl at this time, then discomfort from arthritis seems to be less likely, unless it has progressed.