Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My boxer has recently developed bumps which have become

Customer Question

my boxer has recently developed bumps which have become scabs, mainly on his cheeks and head, but there a some on his back as well. Tried Benadryl and colloidal silver along with antibacterial baths. He is scratching at them a lot digging scabs off but not fully healing. Please what can I do for him? My other boxers have not gotten this at all. Thank you, ***** ***** about his well-being.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Has he been seen by a vet for this problem?

4- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Came on about 10 days ago, no previous med issues, talked with vet over the phone, was advised to give him Benadryl which helped a little but he has since scratched off scabs. He weighs abot 75 lbs.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also tried colloidal silver, still not helping.

Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response. I was offline by the time you came back. In response to your question, it sounds what you are describing is consistent with a bacterial infection. The fact that they are spread in the head and back region it will be very difficult to treat topically I would recommend you discuss with your veterinarian about starting him on oral antibiotics (cephalexin) for several weeks. In addition, consider doing a skin scraping to rule out mites. In the meantime it is important to stop the self-inflicted trauma, I would pick up an E-collar (cone) in your local pet store or vet's office to prevent him from scratching.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sam. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter