Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy has a raw tip of his nose from burying his bones,

Customer Question

GOOD MORNING
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: my puppy has a raw tip of his nose from burying his bones
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: the black on his nose has rubbed off and its now raw
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?
Customer: Diesel
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

­­Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Diesel.

Now if he has rubbed this raw from burying bones, we will need to withhold any more bones for the short term to discourage digging and traumatizing this further. Otherwise, we'd want to start supportive care here. To start, you can salt water bathe (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) this lesion 2-3 times daily. Afterwards gently pat dry and you can apply an OTC antibiotic cream to the lesion to reduce infection risk and facilitate healing. Of course if he rubs the area anywhere or with his paws, he may need an e-collar for the short term, but usually we can just manage superficial fresh grazes like this with topical care. Of course, if it is deep or isn't settling with the above, then we may need his local vet to dispense antibiotics and pup safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc) to reduce the discomfort and get this healing for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we switched from a grain free kibble to a raw diet.
He was on a chicken to start for 4 weeks and developed an ear infection. So we switched and now hes on a raw lamb & beef diet.
pretty sure his nose has nothing to do with his diet since his nose was fine until he started digging & burying his bone. :(
We will start the saline solution and salve asap and take his bone away in the interim ... many thanks!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I'd not anticipate the diet being related to the nose lesion, as this sounds traumatic in origin. Though if the bones were part of the diet, then we may need to use ground bone additive or even calcium powder to keep his diet balanced but prevent further traumatic injury for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you !! :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet