Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dog is 9 years old. On June 28th had a TPLO of left knee.

Customer Question

My dog is 9 years old. On June 28th had a TPLO of left knee. On Aug. 3 had to have a revision due to top back screw "backing out". 7 days later, yesterday, he developed nose/gum bleeding. I rushed him to the vet & was found to have a platelet count of 3,000 with other labs normal. Before surgery, liver enzymes were high with normal bilirubin. His Ceramics was stopped. Now only taking tramadol, silicone ft or hypothyroidism, cephoxlin. Vet started him on Prednisone 40mg twice daily. She thinks it is an autoimmune problem. What do you think? Is this the best treatment. Still bleeding this am. A quarter sized bruised spot now noted on his abdomen. Urine & stool with no blood noted. Has had diarrhea. Is eating & drinking OK.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'll do all I can to help. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: It was his Deramaxx that was stopped over 3 weeks ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about all the problems your dog has had. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Autoimmune disease is probably the most common reason for a dog's platelet count to drop this low, and the treatment for this condition is to suppress the immune system. Usually we start with high doses of prednisone, and if the platelet count does not go back up, we add in things like azothioprine or cyclosporine. How long has he been taking the prednisone? When do you get his platelet count checked again?

Other reasons for low platelet count would be tick carried diseases and usually there is a fever with these. Were his other cell counts, red blood and white blood cells, in the normal range?

How high were the liver enzymes before surgery? There are about 4 liver enzymes we check; were they all elevated?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I did not hear back from you! How is your dog doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?