Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She was hit by a car this evening. I think her hip is either

Customer Question

She was hit by a car this evening. I think her hip is either broken or out of place. She cries if she tried to get up and if she manages to stand sh
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She holds her right hind leg in the air but her body is all twisted up weird
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Rain and she's 6 mos
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear that Rain is in such a painful state.

Now I have to warn you that if she has dislocated her hip, this is an emergency situation. The longer a dislocation is out, the more the muscles will be stretching and the less likely that the joint will stay in once replaced. Furthermore, if she is in that much pain, we'd really want her seen right away for dog safe pain relief (especially as there are no safe OTC options and Aspirin would be dangerous to use in a traumatic injury case due to its ability to thin blood and cause bleeding).

With this all in mind, we have an urgent situation on our hands and would want her seen without delay. We need to soothe her pain with injectable dog safe pain relief +/- get an xray to check the state of her hip but also make sure there are no fractures or internal bleeds. If she just has a clean hip bone break, then 8 weeks of rest with pain relief may be all she needs. But if that hip is dislocated, she needs it put back right away (which will get her walking on it and comfortable quickly) to ensure we don't have complications (ie multiple visits to put it back in, hospitalization, surgery ,etc) due to delay. But again we don't want her suffering with this and it is a case that really needs urgent care.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )