Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My little maltese has had diearhea for 4 days. I have given

Customer Question

My little maltese has had diearhea for 4 days. I have given him every thing that I thought would help. This a.m., he ate chicken for me and ate his treats today. This evening he is back to the watery deiarhea and some blood is in it. I have him some yogurt and he threw it up. He drank water and he threw up. I am very worried about him. Can you help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like he needs to be on some meds to get this resolved. I typically use a round of Metronidazole. This is an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory in the gut so it helps with some of the pain associated with this frequent diarrhea.

If you can't get to a vet, then I would continue the yogurt and then add some fiber to the diet. To do that, you can give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin 2-3 times daily. Lastly, you could give a one time dose of Loperamide (Imodium)- 1/4 of a 2 mg tab.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.