Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Our 60 lb golden retriever ate a large bag of pretzel m&m's

Customer Question

our 60 lb golden retriever ate a large bag of pretzel m&m's and a large bag of tootsie rolls. Will he be ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

The most important fact to know is that a 60 lb dog would need to ingest ~60 ounces of pure milk chocolate or ~20 ounces of pure dark chocolate to intoxicate himself with the theobromine in chocolate which can cause agitation, tremors, and even seizures if ingested in sufficient quantity. I suspect that this didn't occur and so the most I'd expect is transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting, and/diarrhea from ingesting such a large amount of an unfamiliar "food".

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.