Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Have senior pug rescue. On and off for last week mucus poop

Customer Question

Have senior pug rescue. On and off for last week mucus poop and diarrhea trails with blood. She is almost 14 and was abused by living in cramped cage most of her life until Pug Rescue got her. Have been afraid to take her to my vet for selfish reasons. Love her! Doesn't act sick when with us!???
Submitted: 2 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. Bless your heart for taking her in. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has she been dewormed?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure....she was fragile but healthy when got her. She gets stressed when eating because of other female 16 years old also rescue same time. Zoey growls so I separate them. Not new problem. Only bloody mucus diarrhea.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No...can wait

Friend, when we see mucus, blood and diarrhea it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Diet, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Consider getting her deworm. I would use Panacur (fenbendazole), give it once a day for 3-5 days at label dose. Repeat after 3 weeks. You can buy panacur in some pet store, vet's office or online (

5- If after doing the above you do not see improvement I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Hi Beverly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pug. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter