Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He just ate a 5mg melatonin with xylitol in it, it's the

Customer Question

He just ate a 5mg melatonin with xylitol in it, it's the first ingredient on the label.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hunter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hunter?
Customer: he's 29 pounds and 2 years old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This was only a small amount of Xylitol so it is possible that serious adverse symptoms will not result. That said it is best to play safe, one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make Hunter sick immediately and try recover the melatonin pill that way, if you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

2. While your dog has not swallowed a large amount be aware that Xylitol potentially causes a dangerous drop in blood sugar { Hypoglycaemia } in dogs, this can lead to depression, loss of coordination and seizures in as little as 30 minutes. If you fail to quickly induce vomiting then what you should do is to keep a good eye on your dog and as a precaution feed him frequent carbohydrate rich meals over the next twelve hour period.

3. Emergency Treatment of Hypoglycaemia { low blood sugar } should it occur would be : Immediate oral administration of glucose solution or honey (1 g per kg body weight) or sugar dissolved in water if you have nothing else. Animals that are collapsed should not have large volumes of fluid forced into their mouths as this may result in aspiration pneumonia. Here it is preferable to rub a small amount of the glucose solution or honey onto the animal’s gums or under its tongue. Of course then take your dog to an ER vet ASAP.

{ The Melatonin component is not toxic by the way }

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Hunter's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Hunter is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Melatonin incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.