Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our lab has had an eye infection for over 6 months. He has

Customer Question

Our lab has had an eye infection for over 6 months. He has been on 2 different eye drops, 1 ointment, and 2 rounds of oral doxycycline. His eyes continue to fill up with puss all day every day. We even took him to a vet optomologist. We dont know what else to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your Lab's eye. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Can you post a picture of the eye? Can you tell me what the eye drops and ointment you tried were? I do not want to recommend anything that was already tried.

How old is your dog?

Is the infection in both eyes or one?

Sorry for all the questions! Since I can't see and examine him, some additional information will help me to answer your questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The eye drops we have used are Tobramycin, Tobramycin/dexamethason, and Tobramycin ointment. Two rounds of doxycycline capsules. We have also tried allergy drops and eye lubricant. Our lab Maverick is 8. The infection is in both eyes, but extremely bad in his right eye. How di I send you a pic?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

So only one topical antibiotic has been tried, tobramycin? I might consider trying another one.

You can send a picture using the paper clip icon above.

There is a parasite, a worm called Onchocerca lupi, that infects the eyes. I would think an ophthalmologist would have checked for it, but you should ask them if they did.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Were any biopsies, or cultures done?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sometimes I think it looks like a white worm. A lot of yellow puss. No. I don't see paper clip icon
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

There should be one. If you have any questions about posting pictures please contact customer service on the drop down menu. Sorry, I am not involved with how the website works, I just answer veterinary questions for the website.

If you think you are seeing worms, I would contact the ophthalmologist you took him to, and ask about treating for Onchocerca. There is no cure, but it can be managed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I took a pic of his eyes. Need to figure out how to send it
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry but I can't help you with that. I usually tell customers to use the paper clip icon, and then the picture shows up here. If you need help, please contact customer service using the drop down menu. I only answer questions, I don't know how the website works!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

The paper clip icon should be just above where you type (that is where I see it, myself).

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I would look into finding out if this is Onchocerca; the picture won't help since the worms are very small.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think I sent a pic. Did you get it
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Yes, I can see it!

If this were my own dog, I would see an ophthalmologist and see if this is Oncocerca, or do a biopsy myself to see if there are tiny worms in the tissue around the eyes. If there are, I would work with an ophthalmologist for the treatment.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

The treatment is to surgically remove the worms, best done by an ophthalmologist, with their special magnifying equipment, and continue doxycyclne and start ivermectin. Treatment can be for life; it is hard to clear it up. I don't know this is what he has, but it should be checked for.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How is he doing? I have not heard back from you. Was this helpful? Can I answer any other questions?