Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Maggie May, our 6 yr old 50 lbs Border Collie/German Short

Customer Question

Maggie May, our 6 yr old 50 lbs Border Collie/German Short hair Pointer mix had been diagnosed with Irritable Bowl Syndrome as of Jan 2015. We've had her on a single source protein/potato food, no corn, wheat or soy, and weekly B12 shots. She is also on Proin for incontinence. Been on 2mg Prednisone daily until we switched her to 3mg Budesonide in June 2016 due to Prednisone side effects, such as increased drinking and hair loss. That's when we noticed more blood (both dark and bright red) in stool. Just got negative results from colonoscopy at University of Illinois, all clear. What else could this be??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This could still be IBS or IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). The diagnosis is usually made with biopsies from the small intestine- ideally the ileum. These are obtained surgically. If you want to confirm a diagnosis, that is the way to go.

I would probably try a hypoallergenic diet to completely rule out a food allergy. Even with a single novel protein approach, we can still have food allergies. To completely rule out food allergies, we use a hypoallergenic diet like Hill's Z/D or Royal Canin Hypoallergenic. I would try one of those diets and give it 2-4 months to see if that gets the signs under control.

When there is a flare up of bloody stool, I usually put them on a short course of Metronidazole. It's an antibiotic, but it has some anti-inflammatory properties in the gut so that's why I like it for IBD flare ups in dogs.

There is not going to be a cure here, but we just have to play with meds and diets until we get the right mix to keep the signs at bay. When there is the inevitable flare up, we treat more aggressively and then get back down to the maintenance dose.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.
Hi Tamara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie May. How is everything going?