Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a horrible problem my new dog came with one of those

Customer Question

I have a horrible problem my new dog came with one of those collars with the spikes in it has got them somehow embedded under her regular collar I've never used one of these things before but since we had a fire in our area and she's aggressive towards other dogs the previous owner told me she used it when taking her in to the vets but I was gone a week and I've noticed a bad odor so now it's off and thrown away I've washed area but there have been maggots that came off I can't take her to vet can't put that thing on ever again can I put antibiotic ointment on it or what can I do I feel sick
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What type of collar was this? A prong/pinch collar?
2) Can you please share pictures of the affected area?
3) How many maggots came off?