Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog started reverse sneezing pretty intensly this

Customer Question

My dog started reverse sneezing pretty intensly this morning, and has been doing it on and off all day since. We've taken her out of the house, and it's gone down, but she'll still snorts/sneezes at least once every hour or so.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophie, she's around 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: Nothing I can tho I of.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Sophie!

We can see revere sneezing for a range of reasons in dogs. Specifically, we can see this in response to inflammation of the nasopharynx, allergies, foreign bodies, infections, and growths in the back of the upper airway. Now with these in mind and considering how sudden the onset has been, we'd be most wary of inflammation, allergies, or possible items (ie grass, seeds, bone, etc) stuck in the nasopharynx.

In regards ***** ***** at this stage,if there is any chance anything could have gotten caught then we'd want a check with her vet. Otherwise, to rule out allergies, we can try an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

As well, it can help to flush the nasal passage with non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist). These can flush out allergens, discharges, and loose foreign bodies to remove irritation. Finally, to reduce inflammation (provided she is healthy and on no medications), you can try a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE). This needs to be given after food but can reduce inflammation enough to help reduce this for her.

Overall, Sophie's signs do support a few different concerns. If she is breathing comfortably and just irritated now, the above can be tried. Of course, if her signs linger, we see breathing changes, or discharges from the nose; then we'd want a check up to make sure nothing is stuck and to have her vet potentially start further dog safe anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics to get this cleared for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )