Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had dental cleaning yesterday and was given

Customer Question

my dog had dental cleaning yesterday and was given anesthesia. in the middle of the night she started screaming and moving her legs real fast. when i picked her up she was limp, then all of a sudden thrashing again. but after a minute she was fine and i let her out. could this be an effect of the anesthesia?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kit Kat, and she's 8 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kit Kat,?
Customer: She's a little overweight. but other than that She didn't have any health problems before this, so I'm really worried.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I share your concern about Kit Kat. Her signs do support a reaction to anesthesia potentially dysphoria/confusion but I cannot rule out a seizure with her paddling her legs. In this case, we'd be safest to have her seen just now. That way the local vet can start IV fluids to flush the drugs out quicker +/- treat for seizures if they see any. Otherwise, we'd just need to try to keep her calm, keep things quiet an dimly lit. If she can sit up without reacting as you have reported, you can try offering her sips of water (do not syringe feed fluids if she seems mentally unaware since we don't want her to aspirate anything). But usually side effects of the anesthesia do pass over 24- 48 hours. But again if she cannot settle or is quite out of it, then IV fluids to get these drugs out sooner would be ideal to get her back to normal and prevent harm.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet