Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She ate a wooden bamboo skewer stick that was thrown in the

Customer Question

She ate a wooden bamboo skewer stick that was thrown in the garbage. I had use the stick to grill chicken earlier. She has bad gas and seems tired but it is way PST her bedtime
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Haley golden retriever/lab mix and she is 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Haley?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she eat this?

Was it eaten whole or chewed to bits? Did it have a sharp end?

Any appetite loss, gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any black stool or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She has really bad gas right now.. The points on both end was sharp and pointy. She must have eaten the skewer a few hours ago- maybe around 10:00/10:30 PM. It's now 1:43 AM.. I saw one small piece maybe 2 inches long of shredded bamboo on the carpet- that's the one remnants. She made a face like she was up to no good when she walked into the living room. I haven't seen any stool.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me check her gums and press on her belly gently
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

As you do so, I will start typing out a treatment plan.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She looks like she doesn't feel well at all- her eyes.. Her gums are pink and moist- maybe a little sticky. I'm not sure. Behind her front legs, when I press on her underside it feels hard and she had things gurgling as I pressed.. Towards her back hind legs, I pressed and it was easier and softer.. I notice when I pressed up towards the hardened area, she seems to arch her back more towards the ceiling like standing up on her tippy toes. Not sure if any of this is helpful or not. I asked her to come to my bed and she jumped up and sleeping on my bed now which she normally doesn't do at night
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

First, just behind her front legs can be feel firm if you are feeling over the rib cage. As that ends, it should soften but could be tense if she is sore (a concern with the arching). So, we need to keep an eye on this but its good to hear her gums are pink since pale/white gums would be a sign of internal bleeding.

Now when our dogs eat these kinds of items, we do always need to tread with care. Especially since skewers can be quite rigid and sharp and therefore carry a high risk of causing gut damage and blockage.

To start, the gas isn’t overly worrisome as a sign on its own, but it is something that can make Haley's GI tender and uncomfortable. Therefore, to address that you can start her on activated charcoal (250-500g as needed). This is OTC at most pharmacies and some grocery stores. It binds gas and can reduce that discomfort for her. Do note that it can discolor the feces and appear black when passed, but that tends to be self-limiting.

Otherwise, we’d want to start supportive care to reduce the risk of harm from the skewer wood. To do so, we want to keep a close eye on her of course; but can also feed her a "Vaseline sandwich." I know it will sound odd but the bread will coat the any sharp bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. As for the Vaseline, this will act as a lubricant to aid sliding the wood bits through the GI with hopefully minimal damage. To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces.

Afterwards, we will want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. This is easy to digest so ideal for these cases and should help with the gas too. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage this to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through. And just to note to again help with the gas, we may want to add a canine OTC probiotic (ie Foriflora) to these meals too.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on Haley. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that she has passed the material without bother. Of course, any of those red flag signs and a blockage or damage to the gut would be a worry and we’d want her checked urgently by the local vet.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it be ok to start the Vaseline sandwich and everything else tomorrow morning around 9 AM? I just need to go to the store etc and have to be up in 4 hours. I think she's quiet right now. Oh I forgot, Haley has a history of stomach issues- sensitive stomach and bad urinary tract infections.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

The poor dear. If she has a sensitive stomach that is likely why we are seeing the gas signs and rumbling with this. Though hopefully we can just get that settled with a light diet. Otherwise, there isn't a time limit on when we can use the above. Its just sooner is ideal since the sooner we coat the ends of this the more likely we are to avoid gut trauma. But if she is settled, then you can choose to monitor and wait to do so.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Goodnight and thank you so very much for answering my call at 2 AM PST!! You put me at rest and I feel better. Goodnight!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome. :)

I am glad I could be of aid and give you peace of mind. Best wishes for a peaceful night.

Take care,

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )