Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Front leg seems to go out of joint occasionally, I push it

Customer Question

front leg seems to go out of joint occasionally, I push it back to where it looks normal but cannot hear or feel any adjustment motion while I massage it gently working it back into the right position and she walks off like nothing wrong left front leg usually tonight it was the right one
JA: OK. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sandi...she is a Pembroke welsh corgi and has a touch of cushings which is being managed well with lignins and melatonin no vetoryl is necessary...She takes Demarin for liver and is doing okay on both..She is 13 years old and relatively still active in evenings when it is cool outside likes to play fetch and walk on long walks of a mile or so..
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sandi?
Customer: She is a fluffy corgi that means tho she is akc registered she cant be professionally shown but loves people and visa versa and loves attention from people and other dogs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sandi. Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Cushing's disease, among the other symptoms, can cause joint weakness. Can you tell which joint: shoulder, elbow, wrist, that you think looks out of joint? The wrist is the joint above the foot, that allows the foot to bend backwards (towards her tail), the elbow is above that and when it is bent, the lower part of her leg bends forward and the shoulder is at the top of the leg.

You might consider joint supplements such as fish oil, and gluscoamine. There are diets made that have joint supplements added such as Joint Mobility by Royal Canin (I know that one because my dog, a Corgi relative called a Vallhund, is on it).

An Xray may tell us more about what is going on with these joints.

Let me know if this is helpful and if I have answered your questions.