Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He has been pooing clear jelly like poo with bloody

Customer Question

He has been pooing clear jelly like poo with bloody droplets
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: this morning his poo was normal
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: His name is Lenny
JA: How old is Lenny?
Customer: he is 4 months old He has had all his vaccine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has now pooed out 4 long white worms.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on you description, Lenny sounds to have colonic inflammation. This could be due to the round worms but we can also see these signs alongside inflammatory colitis, bacterial infection, whipworms, and with some protozoal infections. We can also see this if they have gut blockages, but this is hopefully less likely.

In regards ***** ***** here, we'd want to start by worming him. You can use an OTC option but make sure it covers for roundworms and whipworms. You can even use Panacur (Fenbendazole) from his vet since this will cover our worm concerns but also some protozoal ones at the same time.

Otherwise, we'd want to start a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI and colonic upset. You can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to keep him regular. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Finally, since his colon will be irritated (often this makes them strain and hence the blood/mucus) and their may be an imbalance in the good gut bacteria, we can also start Lenny on a probiotic (ie Bene-bac, Fortiflora). Or if he is quite loose we can use a probiotic/kaolin paste like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon). All will support the delicate good GI bacteria and the last few can help if he develops runny stools.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, +/- anti-parasitic treatments as needed to settle this and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )