Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Small mouse was climbing around in our food drawer - where

Customer Question

Small mouse was climbing around in our food drawer - where we had sealed boxes of pasta. It nibbled on some boxes but not all of them. He did poop several tiny poops in the drawer. Is it safe to cook and eat the pasta that was in the sealed boxes? Would we see any signs if it pee'd on any boxes? We live in Phoenix AZ and it is the HOT and rainy season.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 4 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that you had a mouse in your pantry.

You were correct in discarding the foodstuffs that were obviously tainted by the mouse. The pasta that is in the sealed boxes is safe to cook and eat without fear. You would see signs of urine on the boxes if he peed on them and there would be a strong odor on the boxes. Also, cooking the pasta in boiling water will also destroy any dangerous bacteria or viruses that the mice may have carried if your food was exposed to them.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 3 months ago.

Were you able to clean up after your tiny home invasion? I hope there wasn't too much food wasted. Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda

Hi Richard,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Non-App. How is everything going?

Dr. Amanda