Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She has a dog bite wound that seems to be infected. I have

Customer Question

She has a dog bite wound that seems to be infected. I have been keeping it clean with a dental wash. I also have some novo-lexin 500mg, can I use this to help the infection?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No she got the bite about a week ago and it seemed fine until Sunday night when she scratched it. Yellow reddish fluid drained and now she keeps trying to scratch it. The bite is just under her ear opening.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 4 yes old.
JA: How old is Chesley?
Customer: 4 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chesley?
Customer: No.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Chesley. Novolexin (cephalexin) may be of value at a dose of 10 mg/lb twice daily for a minimum of 5 days but please note that once pus accumulates (a bite would abscess has formed) it's very difficult for an antibiotic to penetrate into the affected tissue. It's most expedient to thoroughly flush out the abscess with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine (the dental wash?), debride (surgically remove devitalized tissue) the wound, and then either leave it open to drain or install a drain which keeps the wound open and draining.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.