How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 15609
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog might have lick some rat poison, No just saw it on

Customer Question

My dog might have lick some rat poison
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what might ate?
Customer: No just saw it on the floor I guess he found it I'm not sure if any went in his mouth
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about might?
Customer: If he lick some of it what do I do, we don't have any vet near me it's 2hour do I give him milk water what do I look for signs
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello is anyone there to answer I had to pay $5.00 and for u to help $14 so I'm waiting
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow licked and may have ingested some rat poison.

How to proceed depends upon the type he was exposed to, how much he weighs and the time period between ingestion and discovery.

I understand that it has been 2 hours since ingestion.

Most rat poisons are anticoagulants, but some calcify tissues (cholecalciferol), some are neurotoxins due to brain swelling (bromethalin), and others are phosphide rodenticides which produce phosphine gas in the stomach and can lead to bloating and liver and kidney failure and seizures.

With phosphide rodenticides the more food in the stomach the more gas is produced, thus we don't recommend food. We need to be careful with inducing vomiting in dogs that eat phosphide rat poison as the gas can be toxic for people too, so vomiting should be induced outdoors.

So I need to know these things:

  1. Active ingredient in the toxin?
  2. How much your pup weighs?
  3. How much he may have ingested?
  4. How is he feeling/behaving now?
  5. Do you have 3% hydrogen peroxide?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
D-con she weighs about 7-9 pounds don't know but she had pull the box out so far ok and do have peroxide
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This rat poison is over 31/2 years old
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dr.Kara r u there
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Sorry, there are lots of types of D-con.

Please copy the name of the active ingredient.

Many of these toxins are stable for several years.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

She's a small girl so I am more concerned.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Brodifacoum is long acting anticoagulant.

The minimal toxic dose is 0.02mgs of toxin per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight.

If she is 7 pounds then she is 3.18kgs (7lb/2.2lb per kilogram = 3.18kgs).

A toxic amount for her is only 0.0636mgs of Brodifacoum.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what do I do or it's ok just keep an eye
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

That is a very small amount needed to cause bleeding problems.

Signs of toxicity with an anticoagulant take time to develop, sometimes we may not see signs for several days, although usually we see clotting changes within 24-48 hours.

You have the option to induce vomiting tonight.

And you can take her to see a veterinarian tomorrow afternoon and have a clotting profile checked.

Or you can skip inducing vomiting tonight and just have a clotting profile checked.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

To induce vomiting give her 15mls or 1 tablespoon of 3% Hydrogen peroxide orally then take her out and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling.

Ideally we can get rid of the poison. If no vomiting in 10 to 15 minutes repeat the dose. You can give the peroxide directly or with a little canned food or bread chunks.

Then have her see her veterinarian to get a clotting profile checked and started on Vitamin K-1. If it has been longer than 3 hours it may be too late to induce vomiting. I would definitely have her see her veterinarian tomorrow and have a clotting profile checked if she were my pup.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****

Related Dog Veterinary Questions