Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He's an 81/2 year old yellow lab with hip pain, Buddy ...

Customer Question

Hi, he's an 81/2 year old yellow lab with hip pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy ... What can we do?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He loves warm showers that seems to help a bit.... No other than this new limping that's it. Thanks
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes ma'am no wounds or anything like that just a bit of edema right back hip
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Buddy. We use a multimodal approach to osteoarthritis in our dogs - dietary management, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory pain relief, neutraceuticals, life-style changes and stem cell therapy. When used concomitantly these approaches should synergize and provide the best control of symptoms. For example, Buddy might show considerable improvement if you add fish oil to his diet. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are anti-inflammatory. I use the cost-effective generic human fish oils and dose them at 20 mg/lb daily of the EPA in the fish oil. You should find the amount of EPA on the label of your fish oil product. If not, it should be on the manufacturer's website.

Avoid flax oil because it is poorly bioavailable to dogs. They can't metabolize it properly.

If you prefer, there are diets that are extremely high in omega-3 fatty acids. Hill's Prescription Diet j/d is one such diet.

Many vets feel that injections of Adequan (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) work better than oral neutraceuticals such as generic glucosamine/chondroiton sulfate or the over the counter Cosequin or prescription Dasequin (please see here: Adequan is injected into Buddy weekly for a number of weeks at his vet's discretion. You can read more about Adequan here:

Regenerative stem cell therapy has come into its own and is now available for addressing osteoarthritis in dogs . Please see Vet-Stem's website here for more information:***@******.*** The regenerative stem cells are created from Buddy's fat cells and are capable of differentiating into a variety of tissue types including tendon, ligament, bone, cartilage, and muscle and have been proven to reduce pain and inflammation. I understand, however, that such an invasive procedure may not be appropriate at his age.

We have to suspect that just as in people, geriatric osteoarthritis in dogs is painful. If a prescription nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam isn't sufficient for controlling pain, please consider adding a well-tolerated narcotic such as tramadol to these therapies mentioned above. All of these drugs are available from Buddy's vet. Aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food every 12 hours can be helpful in a pinch. Acetaminophen is OK at 7 mg/lb thrice daily but isn't antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen or naproxen in dogs.

Weight reduction is essential. The less weight Buddy's joints need to carry, the better.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.