Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has a big lump or growth on her left leg just a

Customer Question

My dog has a big lump or growth on her left leg just a little worried about it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Mischa. Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long has the lump been there? Is it painful if you touch it, or is she limping on that leg?

This could be a fatty tumor, which is benign. It could be an infection or abscess. Or, it could be a cancerous tumor. The best way to find out what it is would be to do FNA, fine needle aspiration: insert a sterile hollow fine needle into the lump to get cells or liquid from inside it, and put the cells on a microscope slide to look at. If only fat cells are seen, it is probably not anything to worry about. If infection cells are seen, she may need antibiotics or to have the abscess lanced.

If cancer cells are seen, then is would be best to have this removed if possible.

Let me know if this is helpful and if I have answered your questions. If you have more questions, please let me know.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! Is there anything else I can answer? Was this helpful?