Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog woke up this morning and jumped on the bed and

Customer Question

My dog woke up this morning and jumped on the bed and started yelping unable to lay down . he has done this one other time. He is 6 yrs old and I have had him for 5 he is a rescue. My daughter was concerned about Lyme disease . he was tested for Cushings last year and it was neg. he is restless and even though he didn't eat or drink this morning . He ate some beef broth and veggies from a soup few min ago. I did give him a half of a nsaid in case it was arthritis, ( my daughter fussed at me about that ) idk what it could be.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like he may have hurt his neck or back. A disc herniation is the most likely given the vague signs of pain, yelping and inability to get comfortable. Boxers are also a breed where we can see this more frequently. It's hard to pinpoint the specific area of pain, as it just hurts to move, similar to people when you throw out your back.

The treatment is usually with NSAIDs, other pain meds (Gabapentin or Tramadol) and rest for 1-2 weeks. It doesn't resolve right away, but usually within 2-3 days they are looking a lot better.

If you have more NSAIDs at home and you want to give it time, that should be ok. If he's still really painful, then I would see a vet where they can add some Gabapentin to get him comfortable.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.