Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a chiwauwa and pug mix .he is scrathing his ears like

Customer Question

I have a chiwauwa and pug mix .he is scrathing his ears like crazy.I have put coconut oil in them and a moistuizeing cream.taking him out for a walk he walked with his head turned to the side.the ear doesnt smell .its red .it gets warm from scratching
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Reanna, it's best to let Snoodles's vet scope Snoodle's ears to see if the redness you're seeing extends down into the horizontal ear canals. You can only see down as far as the vertical canal which then bends out of your sight. Such pruritic ears usually are part of a more general allergic dermatitis - flea saliva allergy, atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites), and even food intolerance. Allergic ears (we also call them "reactive ears") then often become secondarily infected with both yeast (Malassezia) and bacteria.

For now, filling Snoodles's ears with an over the counter ear cleanser and then gently massaging the base of each ear to get a column of fluid moving up and down the ear canal will bring up wax and debris which you then would wipe away. Repeat filling the ear and massaging until no more debris comes up. Cleaning in this manner is half the battle. In most cases a prescription otic ointment prescribed by Snoodles's vet containing a combination of an antibiotic, antiyeast, and antiinflammatory drug is then instilled into the clean ears.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Reanna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snoodles. How is everything going?