Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I stepped on my puppy's paw, he shrieked of course, but

Customer Question

I stepped on my puppy's paw, he shrieked of course, but isn't limping and I squeezed up and down his whole leg and he didn't whine and nothing felt weird. But he has a cut now I guess where my shoe pinched it between the ground. Do I need to take him to the vet? I've got some ointment and a wrap on it now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your puppy bleeding a lot?
Customer: He doesn't pick it up when he walks and it doesn't seem like it's bothering him except for when I was cleaning a piece of gravel out of it. I washed it with warm soap and water before bandaging it
JA: What is the puppy's name?
Customer: No not bleeding at all. It seemed like there was some puss, but it also could have been water from the dew on the grass he was walking in. His name is goober :)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

For a small wound like this, you can often get by with at home care.

You can do the following:
1. Clip the hair from around the wound with electric clippers- if there is hair.
2. Clean the wound with a dilute hand soap and water mixture
3. Apply a topical antibiotic cream on it- something like Neosporin would be fine
4. Recheck and re-clean up to twice daily as needed

This should get it healed up in 5-7 days. If it becomes swollen, painful or starts draining pus then you should get to the vet for some antibiotics, pain meds and more aggressive wound care that may require surgery.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, thank you so much! I've been worried sick bc he shrieked so much when it happened, but I think it was more shock than anything.The wound is next to one of his flea "hot spots" that is acting up right now. Should I cover them both?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

It would be ok to cover them for part of the day, but I would take the wrap off 1/2 of the day to let air get to it and let it dry out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He's doing better! The cut has healed up nicely and is now just a red patch witb a darker center where the cut was. No limping, swelling, or oozing!