Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is shaking pretty bad after he just had diereaha

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

What did the diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's had the signs for about an hour now. Diarrhea was soft and yellowish no blood. His gums are pink and kind of sticky but not too bad. When I press his belly he doesn't seem to mind he just gets very alert
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's just shaking so bad
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now hopefully your lad hasn't had access to any toxins or eaten anything harmful. If he has, then we'd want to have him seen urgently. Otherwise, the shaking is likely just a sign of fever or that he feels unwell and is a side effect of this severe gut upset causing his diarrhea. Just to note, potential causes for this diarrhea would be harmful ingestions but also potential bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or general dietary indiscretions.

With this all in mind, we can start by trying him with small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. You can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to this to bulk up his stools. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Furthermore, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing but the shaking is likely due to this making him feel unwell if no toxins are suspect. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle Cheech's stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down at any stage, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable antibiotics, fluids, and further symptomatic care to settle his gut and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He also just threw up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

Poor Cheech. If he has, then we'd need to rest his stomach for the next few hours before we can use the above. No food, just sips of water. If he seems weak, then we'd can rub a sugar syrup (ie Karo, pancake syrup, honey, etc) on his gums to boost his blood sugar. And if he is a bit more settled after that, then you can start the above and/or an OTC pet safe antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), etc) to soothe his stomach further.

Take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't think he ate anything he's been with me the whole day and I haven't seen him eat anything strange, he drank some water and threw up and now he's panting like crazy. Should I take him to the vet? It's 1am here so I'm just making sure he's bad enough to take
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

If he is very distressed, sore, has pale gums, or is shaking hard enough he looks to be tremoring, then it's safest to have him seen now. Else you can try the above and monitor until his vet is open.

Best regards,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would you consider this pale? They are very dry though
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here's a better pic
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Dry is a dehydration sign, but thankfully the color is fine.

Best wishes,

Dr. B