Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is going outside every few minutes and trying to poop. He

Customer Question

He is going outside every few minutes and trying to poop. He was pooping a little but now it is mostly liquid. Acting very uncomfortable, seemed fine about 3 hours ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Alex and he is about 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alex?
Customer: Not that I can think of. He starting showing some age about a year ago. He suddenly started having wheezing then but even that has subsided. He was fine while we were walking this evening but he is a dachsund and they seem to eat everything.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I have to say that I am concerned about Alex. If he is straining to pass stool, this could be due to colitis related diarrhea but also could be loose stools due to an obstruction in the gut (ie something stuck that he ate, hard feces caught, masses inside or outside compressing the gut, etc). With all this in mind, we need to tread with care. If he is sore, then we'd want him seen at this stage to nip this in the bud. Otherwise, we can try some supportive care to at least address as many of these as possible.

To start, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea if that is the root cause for what we are seeing. We can also add fiber to this (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to bulk up stools and help push anything that may be caught in the gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Otherwise, we can also start an OTC probiotic (ie Fortiflora) to support the gut. Since we do have obstruction concerns, we'd avoid anti-diarrheals but will want to make sure he is drinking well (you can even tempt with lactose free milk or low salt chicken broth) to counter any risk of dehydration. This is quite important because it is a result of loose stools but also a cause for constipation.

Overall, a number of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, ensure nothing in his GI that shouldn't be, or any sinister masses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable antibiotics for diarrhea or an enema for blockages to settle this and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet