Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Jumped out of the truck almost a year ago. Injured his left

Customer Question

Jumped out of the truck almost a year ago. Injured his left shoulder. Has had a trace of a limp since then, but the past couple of days it seems to be bothering him as he limps a little more. Last time, the vet gave him Previcox 227. It worked good. But it expired JUne 30th. This time, when it started bothering him, I gave him one night before last. Seemed to ""try"" to work. Gave him one yesterday afternoon around 4:00. But it's 1:40 Tuesday morning. I got up to let the dogs out and noticed that he sort of "leans" on his right leg when sitting. Still playful, and once he gets moving around, the limp isn't so predominant. He will lay down, get up and sit, as if he can't get comfortable. So I gave him another of the expired Previcox but I can tell it's bothering him. Could it be that the Previcox being expired for over a month just isn't working?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Planning on getting some "fresh" Previcox from the vet this afternoon.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Could it be arthritis is giving him problems???
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just felt of his leg and it feels like there is swelling just below the ""armpit""
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
HAS ANYONE GOTTEN THIS. IT'S BEEN NEAR 4 HOURS.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to answer your question....I am also sorry that, because of my location, I cannot make phone calls that are reliable but would like to try to help.

It appears that your sweet Bamboo has arthritis secondary to this injury in the past and will always have trouble with this off and on due to aggravating this by certain movements. the first thing to do is to eb sure to give bamboo a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin available at the pet store. This will add lubrication to his joints and decrease discomfort. This often will decrease the need for anti inflammatory medications such as Previcox.

It may be that the expired Previcox has lost some of its efficacy so a new prescription will probably help Bamboo past this. There are times that dogs will develop a partial immunity to the medication and changing to another such as Derramax may be the next choice. Because of this injury, he will always need some form of pain reliever so start with the Glucosamine/Chondroitin and then keep the anti inflammatory medication on hand when he has bad days.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****