Alexis Solis
Alexis Solis, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctorate in Veterinarian Medicine

8 month old Chesapeake bay retriever ate an bead necklace.

Customer Question

8 month old Chesapeake bay retriever ate an amber bead necklace. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Alexis Solis replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** Sorry to hear about your necklace! I have a few questions.. How large were the beads and how long ago did your pup eat it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He ate it an hour ago and it was about 10 inches long
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Beads were fairly small

Were the beads strung together by string or chain?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there?

My biggest concern here is the string and the length. If the stones are small in a young large breed dog they should pass however being attached by string makes me very nervous for possible blockage/obstruction

If it has been less than 2 hours my recommendation would be take him to your nearest emergency facility so they can induce vomiting and likely make him vomit the necklae before it passes through the stomach

Making a dog vomit at a hospital is a simple thing and can be very successful at producing the foreign object! There are recommendations all over the internet about giving your dog hydrogen peroxide to make them vomit. This is true and it many times produces vomiting but there are risk involved so please be cautious if you try that route

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you. He is headed to the ER vet now

Good choice! That is what I would do if it were my own dog! Making him vomit is so much cheaper than a foreign body surgery!!!

Good Luck!

-Dr. Alexis Solis

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ― Martin Buber

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We did try the hydrogen peroxide as he has eaten things he shouldn't have before, but it didn't work. It was almost two hours ago that he ate it, do you think they will still be able to be successful making him vomit?

Yes it is possible. Things can remain in the stomach for several hours. If he doesn't vomit the necklace then I would just monitor him closely over the next 12-18 hours and check his stool! I also recommended "bulking up" his diet to help move things through. You can do this by giving him a slice or 2 of bread.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Alexis Solis