Alexis Solis
Alexis Solis, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctorate in Veterinarian Medicine
93410895

My pekingnese is 16 years old - diabetic and blind but in

Customer Question

My pekingnese is 16 years old - diabetic and blind but in great spirit and happy. However, has started to breath rapidly, eye twitching, poor balance in the last 30 minutes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry your dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Still there??
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Napoleon. He ate fine at 6pm. Is on 6 units of insulin twice daily.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Alexis Solis replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I'd be happy to try and help with Napoleon. How is he acting now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I gave him a little bit of honey, had him on the couch with me - solid 30 minutes of him breathing rapidly - took him outside to go to the bathroom. Put him back in his bed - he is finally sleeping. Not sleeping in his bed - moved beside it on the tile.

Im glad he is at least able to rest. My main concern with any diabetic patient that just begins to act "off" or starts showing abnormal signs is that the blood sugar levels are off.

Do you ever check his blood glucose level at home?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have never checked it at home. I do have it checked at the vet office regularly.

His clinical signs of rapid breathing, eye twitching, and poor balance could be signs that his blood sugar is either too high or too low neither which is ideal or course. If he has settled down and is acting more normally and you feel comfortable monitoring him closely I would check in with your primary veterinarian in the morning for a blood glucose check. If his abnormal signs return before morning I'd recommended having him seen at an emergency overnight facility.

Also, it is definitely worth talking to your veterinarian about checking his blood sugar level at home. You can buy a glucometer at any local drug store and keep it on hand for emergencies. Most veterinarians are happy to show clients how to check it at home!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you!!

I'd also recommended waking up a few times overnight to check on him! Stimulate him make him stand up to ensure he doesn't seem lethargic or depressed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will do - thanks!

Your welcome!

-Dr. Alexis Solis

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ― Martin Buber