Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My chihuahua is coughing and is spitting out looking stuff

Customer Question

My chihuahua is coughing and is spitting out white looking stuff he is eating and playing this seems to get worse when he gets excited
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long as this been going on?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The cough 2 days the white stuff just started today

Hello again

Sorry to hear your Chihuahua is unwell, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

I would not be at all surprised if your dog has not contracted an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is retching like that other diagnosis are certainly possible but from your description it does sound very like kennel cough.

However as kennel cough would be a front runner I will tell you a little of what I know about it ...

Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

This is a disease which vets will see quite a lot, we often have to explain the symptoms to clients :

1. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have - a bit like a seal honk!

2. The dog may sneeze a little but the cough is the main symptom, some dogs are quite bright and alert but others can be lethargic during the course of this disease.

3. The dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it will be productive, he will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once he has done this he will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough / retch which just keep happening.

4. It is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make your dog feel better very quickly. For this reason my advice would be to have your vet check your dog over at the next opportunity and of course this is a wise move as other diagnosis are possible. Unfortunately there is very little you can do to make him more comfortable on a home remedy basis.

5. There are effective vaccines against some forms of this disease but because there are a number of other forms vaccinated dogs can still contract this disease.

6. Here is a link for more information on this disease : LINK

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Chihuahua's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Chihuahua is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the respiratory symptoms ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you I took him to his regular vet today and he put him on an antibiotic per your suggestion

Thanks for the update.

Great, hopefully he should now start to improve over the next 48 hours ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hello again,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and hopefully your Chihuahua is now recovering. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott