Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

What can you give a dog that is constipated, she is a 5yr

Customer Question

what can you give a dog that is constipated, she is a 5yr old pit bull on the smaller side, about 50 lbs and noticed she hasn't really been going #2 very well and just walking her down the park she is trying to but more gas is coming out more than anything so looking for something that will help her go
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 10 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Bella is having trouble defecating. It is unusual for dogs to become constipated for no reason, so if she doesn't poop in the next 24 hours, or if she develops diarrhea, please take her to see your regular vet.

For tonight, you can try Miralax. Miralax is a very gentle stool softener that only holds water in the stool. It does not cause irritation of the bowels. Any laxative that causes irritation to the bowels is dangerous for dogs and can lead to severe diarrhea. The dose of Miralax for a dog her size would be 1tsp twice daily mixed with canned dog food or canned pumpkin.

Does that help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How is Bella doing tonight? Did she have a normal poop? Is she eating and drinking okay tonight? Do you have any other questions for me?

Dr. Amanda