Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Loretta, I have a little Laso that is not a year old yet who

Customer Question

Good Evening Dr. Loretta,
I have a little Laso that is not a year old yet who was pretty violently shook up by a neighbors dog who they just adopted the day of the attack from a shelter. It was real skittish and the girls were trying to hold control of it but my little Bentley is just friendly to everything and walked right into it. He ran all the way home after my son came screaming. The first night we didn't know what to do and if he was going to make it. Animal control said if they came and he was in any way at all even it only slightly suffering that they were required by law to euthanize. I told them forget it. How l know a lot if people will say.. "Oh if you can't afford a dogs vet visit then dont get the dog" well this IS life, and my son was recently diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic in December and money has become non existent since then and I have none after my bills are paid every check. It has now been 6 days. Needless to say he mare it through the night with lots of love and prayers and attention non stop from my son and I want of course my my oldest dog MaeMae, the two are inseparable. He was very deal and site at first. Limping but we couldn't tell why. At first we thought something to be broke and I still do not know but honestly believe it is not. Anyway, he has since been eating very well and drinking more than enough water, even gone back to his normal routine of jumping in the bathtub (yes even while currently maimed up and crippled) to get water while we are sleeping if my oldest dog drank all from the short bowl he can reach. And he jumps in and out. Has done it more than a handful of times... Thing is... One of the times he jumped in there was a place that had originally scabbed up that seemed to reinjure at first, but when I looked at it close Saturday morning it looks more like he has either scratched at it to get the would to open up and drain.. Or the jump into and put of the tub opened it up. Anyhow, it is now pretty oozie and gross lookin and doesn't smell rotten or nothing, just kinda smells fresh, almost like dad chicken.. Not spoiled chicken.. Just like new raw meat. His condition has still though continued to get better and he is even running around playing with my son and me and chasing my oldest dog around the house... Limping still though mind you, but continually becoming more mobile and able to move around and distribute his weight more. Is this the lymph that is part of the normal healing process? Is the limping due to the puncture wound being right above his little shoulder joint or because of a break? And what can I do to help him or should I help him at all? He gets very aggressive it I try to touch it any closer than the "oh she's just checkin on me" comfort zone. If i try to pull back any hair he's done. Game over. He tries to bite and starts yelping but then Damn licks and scratched at the Damn thing himself. About all he will let us do is poor some peroxide on it, help him scratch for fleas, and wrap and splint his leg up (when we though the limping may be due to a hairline fracture or break because there was no evidence of a clean snap and no exposed bone). But now that he unwrapped The last splint himself I have not put another on but he wont let me touch the wound to feel it out or see if its okay. Or help him. I know I could just hold him down but being that he is perfectly fine otherwise until I try to butt in... I to not want to force it as I fear I may aggravate it even more and possibly even interfere with the quite possibly already working natural process in place. Can you please help me? These two dogs are not dogs to us, they are my kids and my sons little brother and sister. I know I have doctored my own wounds, oft times questionably serious and possibly risking it not seeing a dr, but I can judge my own wound by sight and feel and condition it is in. With him I cannot get quite close enough to be certain I am not neglecting what might need a little human intervention... A little help from mom... Just a little assistance, and that it is okay to let him do his thing without risking further injury later. Please help. And thank you so much. I know this was long but I wanted to make sure I was very detailed and had all the information possible in here I could ask for your help with.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Oh my!! Poor little Bentley!! So far you have done very well cleaning the wounds as best you can and attempting a splint. Since it has been 6 days, and he is still eating, drinking and acting somewhat normal, these are all very good signs that there is no serious infection and that he will get past this. The 2 things I would recommend to help sweet Bentley is to purchase betadine at the pharmacy over the counter and apply this to the areas that are draining. The drainage removes the dead tissue form the injury and this is a good thing and the Betadine applied every 6-8 hrs will keep this from getting infected. It does not appear that the splint is required at this point. Remove this and give Bentley aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs after he has eaten. This will decrease the pain and inflammation from these wounds.

You have done great so far and if there was anything serious, you would have known it by now....

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****