PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I was told by the vet here in my city my dog is dehydrated

Customer Question

I was told by the vet here in my city my dog is dehydrated and has a fever. She is vomiting dark brown stuff. The smell of the vomit is like diarhea. I'm on low income and I don't get paid for two weeks. Please help my grace?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

I can give you some directions to help with the vomiting. Once that has stopped, Grace will be able to drink and eat which will help with dehydration. The fever, however, may either break on its own or she may need to be placed on prescription antibiotics to stop it.

The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If your companion requires a more palatable food, try using pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Start small and give more as long as no vomiting is seen.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can i get the antibiotics over the counter or from you? If the fever persist.

We don't do prescriptions online, I'm afraid. Licensing boards require prescriptions to be written by veterinarians after an in-person exam is done. This is part of the reason why.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion today?

Hi Jeanette,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Grace. How is everything going?