Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What could cause my dog to act like something is biting her

Customer Question

What could cause my dog to act like something is biting her butt or is constantly checking it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Crickett. In a situation where a dog is biting at their rear end, fleas are absolutely the number one suspicion / rule out. Sometimes even with flea prevention, some products can still have live fleas on them for a bit. What flea prevention is she on? The other rule outs would be anal glands that are full / impacted. They sometimes will scoot when this is the case too. Tapeworms can cause some weird activity like this too. Could there be some other source of irritation back there from the skin?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's on Revolution, consistently. Had anal glands extracted 2 weeks ago. She does have allergies, but usually will bite at her legs when this is the case. She literally jumps then checks her bottom. Most generally when I'm trying to feed her. Which she has to be hand fed! Recently went back to work after 8 years of being home with her. Had to put her in Prozac.

That is good that she's on the Revolution as that is a very good flea preventative product. I will say that in certain areas, sometimes fleas can become more resistant to certain products. Some clinics will utilize a rotation in flea products to minimize the chance of resistance. Basically they use two products and rotate them every 6 months. With her anal glands being expressed there 2 weeks ago, sometimes they can be irritated from that act and go at their back side. If this all started after that was done, then that would be a consideration. It would be interesting to see if maybe there is something in the fur there or on the skin that may be causing some discomfort. Could there be a sticker or burr somewhere?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I have checked her thoroughly. She is a groomed all white schnauzer. Very short hair. I have checked for fleas, ticks, anything! No apparent bugs, rashes, dermatitis etc

With her being white and well groomed, it makes looking at the area pretty easy. Could there be something being passed in the stools that is causing some discomfort? I've seen a few that have chewed on bones and when these are being passed, they can cause some discomfort.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I have checked. She is not allowed bones or people food. Only 1brand/type of treat. She had had pancreatitis 3 times so I have to be very careful of her diet. She is on prescription id low fat.

Schnauzers are the poster child for pancreatitis. That is good that you're being that careful with her diet. I wish many, many more Schnauzer owners were! Cats can have feline hyperesthesia issues where they can feel like something is crawling on their skin when nothing really is. Could there be some unexplained dermal stimulation that is causing her to react like this. Overall, what you could do is video what you're seeing and have your vet check it out to see if that gives any help in figuring things out. Videos are great for all kinds of events that may not be reproducible in an office setting.