Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog won't eat and goes for days refusing to

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What breed is Mollie?
2) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
3) Will she eat anything at all?
4) When did this begin?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mollie is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She has no vomiting and no diarrhea. She will eat a treat, which makes me think maybe she just prefers treats. This has been going on for two weeks. She want eat any kind of dog food, we've tried dry and wet. Should I just out stubborn her and give her no treats? She gets one for going pottie outside.

This happens with some dogs, they do become so picky that they simply will refuse the food we offer them. Have you tried any home cooked food for her to see if this will cause her to eat?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She's the only dos I know who will turn down pork chop and bacon. I made her some home made chicken and rice which she ate once and refused the next day. She is always ready for her treat when she comes in from the yard. Should I eliminate the treats for now? I have been so worried about her! She's our child now as our kids are grown and gone. She is a bit spoiled, I'll admit. We adore her!

I wouldn't eliminate treats for her as these are really her only source of calories.

It sounds like she might like some variety in her food and that is why she is turning her nose up at everything else (by the way pork can cause pancreatitis so be careful with the greasy foods).

Try the chicken and rice again, but add a jar of chicken or turkey flavored baby food over the top of it. If she refuses this tomorrow, try adding in pumpkin or cottage cheese.

A food that your family may want to consider is the Merrick line. I recommend these for a lot of small breed dogs that tend to be more picky and want select meals. This company models their foods off of human food, so they tend to be more tantalizing to the taste buds, so to speak. They're made with whole chunks of meats and veggies instead of being pate style or otherwise "unidentifiable" in a can.

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/dogs/products?categorySort=1&cat1=6&cat2=7&cat3=8