Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog barks all day and it's worse when people come over. I

Customer Question

My dog barks all day and it's worse when people come over. I can't take it anymore. My regular vet performed the procedure in March but the dog was back at it in 2 weeks. We have done all we can do: buying all things that should stop the barking & we even hired a trainer. I just can't take it anymore
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Was this the de-barking procedure that was done?
2) What type of exercise program is Honey accustomed to?
3) How many hours of the day is she asleep?
4) Aside from people being over, what else causes her to bark more often?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
as I stated in my original question I cannot endure this barking all day & him running to the landing & looking down the stairs barking the whole time at night or day. I noticed that he wasn't socialized correctly so when my son moved in just till he got a job & a place to live (4 1/2 months). Now when he visits with or without his girlfriend, Honey has to go straight to the garage so we can hear ourselves think. My sister says it's not that bad, but she is gone all day & doesn't know. I have class A bipolar disorder which confuses the issue, I have too many things that bring on anxiety/panic attacks, but the barking is the worst. My vet is very understanding & told ma he would do a debarking. He did. Honey was back at full volume in 2 weeks. I want to try one more time, or I'll have to have him put down. When we go see our parents once a year he always loses 3-4 pounds because he won't eat. So you see, we can't give him to anyone. Right now he sleeps several hours during the day & all night, if he doesn't get up to bark. He barks at all the cars starting or shutting down. He barks if we make a sudden movement or if we leave separately or together. He barks at neighborhood cats on our back fence. He barks at everything, but the cars are awful. HELP
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am unable to offer a phone call at this time, Vikki. I will go ahead and opt out to see if someone might be able to do so.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

In order to help you better I need to know what the trainer told you to do.

I need to know how often a day you train the dog and what method you use.

Is giving her up not an option only because she does not eat when you visit your parents? If so I would not worry about that as a reason, as it changes with each owner.

Have you only tried debarking? What about anxiety medication?

What are you doing at the time the dog is barking?