Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 3 year old 86 pound Golden who loves to swim, dive,

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 3 year old 86 pound Golden who loves to swim, dive, splash and chase water droplets. He ingests a fair amount of water in so doing. Unfortunately, this all done in saltwater (coastal Rhode Island). He then develops diarrhea that lingers, even with Imodium, 3-4 days. We are leaving to go sailing for a week. He will be joining us. As he loves swimming and playing in the water, and I love the exercise aspect of him swimming, I would hate to keep him out of the water. But a big dog with diarrhea aboard an anchored sailboat is no fun for anyone. I have spoken to his vet about this and he recommended a probiotic and ok'd the use of Imodium. I have found that Imodium just doesn't work that well anymore, and I am concerned about what Imodium may be doing to him. Any suggestions? Thank you.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Yes, he is otherwise healthy. He is part of the Morris Animal Foundation Golden Retriever Lifetime Study, and gets a very thorough annual exam as part of his participation in the study.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

HI. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** It sounds like this guy has the time of his life in that water situation. I wouldn't want to deprive him of that fun. As far as the ingestion of the salt water and the diarrhea that develops, one thing I will utilize in similar situations is an antibiotic called metronidazole. It is something that a lot of dogs get started on when boarding / kenneling as it can help to keep the bacterial population in the gut from getting out of whack. I would be curious as to if he may be eating anything new on these trips that may be a part of this too. Could he be getting any new foods or treats that may be a part of this?