Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

She has hot spots possibly from flies she was staying up

Customer Question

she has hot spots possibly from flies she was staying up biting and scratching all night making matters worse plus she has been incontinent due to it being on her spine. she is a pure german shepherd and I have had and breed them just cant stand the allergic reaction want to give her rest
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: lady 4 year old and she has no flees
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about lady?
Customer: like
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I said flies not fleas she has none
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry but because of my location, I am unable to make phone calls that are reliable but I would like to help.

It appears that Lady does have an allergic reaction to the fly bites or other issues and the treatment for this is as follows:

Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation.

Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
1 Give Benadryl at mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.

Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results. Often your vet can give cortisone that will stop the scratching which will, in turn, stop the irritation.

The incontinence could be due to stress but if your sweet Lady has been spayed, this is most likely a Hormone Responsive Incontinence, common in females that have been spayed and this responds well to the drug Proin that your vet can prescribe for Lady.

If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.

1 Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta