Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 12 year old Rottweiler who has had trouble getting

Customer Question

Hello I have a 12 year old Rottweiler who has had trouble getting up and down this is getting worse and today she doesn't want to move you can see she has trouble with her hind legs as sometimes there likes she's drunk she does to the toilet fine but is refusing to walk about today my vet has given me inflacam but seems to make her sick so have stopped giving it to her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on Daisy's signs, I'd be concerned that she does have underlying arthritis and potentially some nerve or muscle involvement if she is that weak. Though if she has been walking drunkenly recently, there is also risk of vestibular disease (a sudden onset wobbliness condition), middle ear infections, or even brain issues. So, we need to tread with care.

Now I understand that she struggled with the Inflacam, but there are other anti-inflammatory choices (ie Rimadyl, Previcox, steroids) that she could try and may tolerate better. Or at the very least, we could try pre-treating with an OTC antacid (ie Zantac) to counter that nausea and sickness she had with it. Otherwise, there are also medications that can tackle dog pain without upsetting the gut (ie Gabapentin, Tramadol, etc). So, we do have other options for keeping her stomach settled as we address her limb pain. And if her vet saw her recently for this, they may be happy to dispense one of these other options before having her visit them again.

Otherwise, just to note some mild OTC options you could try with her, we do find glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals with mild signs, but it might be enough to take some of the discomfort away from her and help her to comfortably move this leg again. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.

Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for her, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider.

Finally since the "drunk" gait does bring up those other concerns, if that is a new finding then we'd want a check up at this point. That way you can discuss the above with Daisy's vet but also make sure none of those other conditions are present. Of course, if one is then the sooner we treat the better her prognosis for addressing it and for getting her to move comfortably.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When a dog get arthritis is it sudden because she has got worse over the last 2 weeks I know she's old but seems to have come on quickly
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Often it is a condition that slowly progresses, but then comes to a head suddenly. This can just be from it reaching a critical point, because there has been secondary muscle straining (as they try to cope with the compromised arthritic joints) or related to nerves being compressed or inflamed by the arthritis. So, its not uncommon for it to appear suddenly despite having been present and subclinical for months to years prior to signs.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there anything my vets can do to try get her more mobile
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again,

Your vet can dispense some of those other aforementioned pain relief options. Or there are long acting injectable treatments (ie Cartrophen, Adequan) that can help improve mobility. Otherwise, we need to keep her weight down (since more weight means more joint stress) and you may find taking her swimming (where she can use her joints without having to support her own weight) can be beneficial for keeping her muscle mass from atrophying.

All the best,

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hi Claire Ladell,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?

nekovet