PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She is shaking and appears to be in a lot of pain. She also

Customer Question

She is shaking and appears to be in a lot of pain. She also has no strength in her left leg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Yorkie mix
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. I have rubbed her to try and find if there is any pain and nothing
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the's name and age?
Customer: Frida. She is 22 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frida?
Customer: She has no appetite and I have to feed her water thru a straw.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there somebody online. I have been waiting for 7 minutes and not getting no answers
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How long does it take to get an answer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry for the delay in hearing back from someone on our end. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When did this begin?
2) Is the holding the limb up? dragging it?
3) Is she vocalizing?
4) Can you please attach a video of her walking?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It started yesterday at about 3:00pm she tried to jump onto the couch but looked a little weak she immediately started dragging herself on the floor while urinating a lot.and crying really loud There was no Blood on the urine. She became very very shaky and panting she sticks out her tongue. I've been feeding her water thru a straw. I tried taking out to pee this morning since she hasn't urinate since yesterday after the incident. She just sat on the grass without moving but okay! Urine. I've tried attaching the video but will not take it. What else can I do
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry for the misspell. No urine output since yesterday

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, you can post the link back and I can access them.

Is she not using her back end entirely or just one leg? Is it dragging behind her?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
http://tinypic.com/r/30adhcz/9

It looks like your girl has a condition known is Intervertebral disk disease and it's caused the acute problems with her back legs. This is a very common problem in smaller breed dogs, in fact. You can learn more here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/

There are varying degrees of IVDD in dogs but she absolutely needs to be examined by a vet. Without medical intervention, she may not only get worse but she may lose the use of both of her back legs permanently. It's imperative that medical intervention be sought for her. Your vet will want to start with an exam, x-rays to examine her back and depending on her presentation may either recommend trying some medication to see if this improves her symptoms (like canine-safe NSAIDS, pain meds and muscle relaxers) or may refer you to a surgeon to determine if a surgical approach is more appropriate.

More than this, if she is unable to express her own bladder, you will need to be trained on how to do this.

I would not wait. If you are able to have her seen today, this will be for the best.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is this illness painful? That is very important to me. I need to know that she will not suffer if I decide to proceed with treatment. Would it be worth it for my Frida to go thru all this?

Yes, this illness can be very painful. With treatment, it will be alleviated.

I would, personally, pursue treatment. Without treatment, the risk of pain is higher. It is because of the IVDD that the pain occurs. Once that's treated, the pain should no longer be a problem. It is imperative for early treatment to be offered or a pet may not respond as well as possible to medical intervention.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It seems that our only option will end up with surgery. I just need to feel that it will be more beneficial than anything else. I love my FriFri. I am devastated specially because it was so sudden. Could anything have caused this?

Very unlikely. IVDD often has a very sudden onset. Most owners have no idea that it's even a potential until something major like this happens. We commonly see that it happens after a dog is being active, such as jumping on to or off of furniture.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm kinda confused...was this something she had existing?

Likely only a predisposition. It would be much like never having injured your back until you moved in a different manner one day. The potential always exists for one that is predisposed, this may simply be the first occurrence.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is that due to her breed?

Breeding certainly has a lot to do with it. Yorkies (and mixes) are on the list of those most frequently plagued with back problems.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We took her to get X-rays and they told us that she has 3 bones fractured right at the arch of her back. Is that really bad?

That's definitely not good. It would be time for a referral with a specialist to see what options exist for her. She's likely going to be dealing with recovery and some substantial pain for the next few months, at best.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My main concern for her is her quality of life I don't want to feel selfish and put her thru anymore pain than the one that she has already endured In your opinion keeping her in this condition while we get more answers going to benefit her or worsen her condition
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What are the odds of a dog overcoming this disease with her fractures in place and even if I decide to go ahead with surgery what are the odds of having it come back again since she is only 22 months old

Honestly, I cannot say. It will depend how she heals, if that's the recommended approach. The vertebra can heal, but whether or not that is going to fix her problem is a totally separate issue. The fact remains that she will likely suffer more problems in the future and she's already just a young dog. I think the consideration of euthanizing her is a fair one considering the problems she's already sustained in her youth.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We're taking her to a neurologist today. She can wiggle her tail stringly and has still has some movement in her legs. It's been 48 hours and she hasn't gone paralyzed. So I'm hoping that's a good sign.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We were told to keep her on complete bed rest and continue with her anti inflammatory medication. They teach us to empty her bladder they gave me a price range for her surgery of 7 to 8 thousand dollars. I don't think I can afford that so I will wait to see what the neurologist says today

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Can you give an average price range for that type of surgery and also an average price for an MRI

MRI's in my area run an average of $3000 and the surgery is about that. I tell people to expect a grand cost of around $5000 and more if you live in a larger city.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh wow. Okay. Well I will see what the neurologist has to say and will take it from there. What is the very worse case scenario if I don't get her the surgery? And why are the first 48 hours so crucial?

She's likely going to be in pain long-term and may not make any improvements. The first 48 hours is crucial because that's when we have the best chance at recovery.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy