Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog is having trouble walking at his normal speed. His

Customer Question

My dog is having trouble walking at his normal speed. His back let's are now starting to cross a bit. He has been eating and going to the bathroom like normal but isn't as excited to eat as he normally is. His energy is low. He won't jump on the couch or bed when I ask him to. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Definitely, worth a vet visit. But why?

The weakness you are describing and the "crossing" of the legs can suggest a neurologic deficit. In other words, I am a little concerned that this is not just a soft tissue injury but maybe a disc herniation in the spine. That can definitely cause what you are describing.

So, a vet can do a neurologic examination including a simple in the exam room test called testing "conscious proprioception" to see if there is any neurologic deficit to th hindlegs contributing to this problem.

Depending on the exam, the vet will determine if x-rays are indicated, and if any medication like a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or steroid is worth trying.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Hope everything is going okay?