Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog ate a brownie pop from Shari's Berries and is in the

Customer Question

My dog ate a brownie pop from Shari's Berries and is in the hospital.Her liver enzymes count is at 1,000 and I'm trying to understand how severe her illness is
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she will be 2yrs old at the end of this month
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Xochi?
Customer: No,other than that she is healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Our primary concern with ingesting a brownie pop is the amount of theobromine in the chocolate in the pop. That amount appears to be proprietary because I can't find it on the Shari's Berrie's website. In any event, theobromine can cause vomiting, agitation, tremors, and even seizures if ingested in sufficient quantity. Liver toxicity, however, isn't expected and so I'm not sure what a liver enzyme of 1,000 implies - there are 3 main liver enzymes we look at - ALT, ALP, and GGT. Can you upload a copy of all of Xochi's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Please note, too, that the degree of elevation of these enzymes does not correlate well with the severity of the disease process causing expression of those enzymes. Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?